October 16, 2018

The Moroccans who saved my life by Kevin Barrett



At Lalla Fatna Beach in Safi the day before the accident. The waves here were so huge and nasty that I didn’t even try to bodysurf them. Should have made the same decision the next day at Sidi Bouzid.


By Kevin BarrettVeterans Today Editor

Still finding it hard to believe I’m alive.

Three days ago, while I was bodysurfing at Sidi Bouzid beach near El Jadida, Morocco, a freak wave slammed my head first into the sand, rupturing a disc in my neck and leaving me temporarily paralyzed between my waist and chin. I flopped helplessly in the breaking surf for a few minutes that seemed like forever, gasping for air when I could, emitting brief and feeble cries for help, and using my legs to try to shove myself shoreward.

Totally underwater except during the rare moments when the current wave briefly receded, growing ever more bloated with seawater, I thought it likely I would die there…but kept fighting for life in hopes of seeing family and friends again. “Please God somehow save me from this…” Splash. Crash. Roar. Getting tumbled in the surf really sucks when you can’t feel or use your arms.

Fortunately the waves kept nudging me towards shore. Every now and then I could get my lips above the waterline, suck in a lungful of air, and try to scream for help.




4 comments:

Zeebra said...

Sounds like an authentic brush with death-- KB is good people; happy he made it through; his work isn't done here! God speed in his recovery.

Scorpio said...

Never body surf without surf fins. Rips currents can be deadly.
Hopefully, Barrett cracked open a nice cold beer after this.

Zeebra said...

AFAIK, muzzies can't drink/smoke, or anything considered harmful to their bodies. KB seems quite devout, so guessing he's totally clean.

zapoper said...

Knowing Scorpio, I'm sure he was taking a jab at barrett's religion with that beer comment. I thought it was quite funny when I read it.