July 17, 2019

Balancing Jewish life with a comedy career (Wet burp)

Growing up, Natalie Norman didn’t look like the other girls. She was overweight. She wore glasses. At one point, she even had to wear an eyepatch. Kids might have made fun of her – if she didn’t beat them to the punchline.

“I was always the odd girl out,” she said recently for The CJN’s flagship podcast, The Canadian Jewish Shmooze. “I think you kind of take on comedy, in a sense, to fit in, and people will like you. And I was always that funny child.”

It took a couple decades, but Norman has finally evolved her self-deprecating humour into a debut comedy album, The Big Reveal, released on Howl & Roar, a Canadian comedy label that promotes female comics (because men are not funny at all). It’s the culmination of eight years of practise, during which time she’s established herself as a fixture in downtown Toronto’s comedy circuit. 


P.S. I think I'm gonna take a few days off of reading Jewish bullshit. I'm starting to feel like punching my computer monitor again. LOL

No comments: